Monday, February 19, 2018

Sepia Saturday 407: Biking








This is my favorite photo of myself and my bike. I was ten years old and soaking up every moment of summer sunshine. My right cheek is all puffed out like a chipmunks. I probably had a wad of Dubble Bubble on one side. I loved blowing bubbles, and adored the little wax-paper comics the gum was wrapped in. 

I'm guessing the year to be 1952 or 1953. We were diving under our desks during emergency drills—Duck and Cover.  Atomic explosions must have been on everybody's minds. How innocent we (or the Fleer Corp.) were, comparing such an event with the sound of gum bubbles popping. Kids have a different reaction today in the classroom when they hear a "Pop" and a "Bang."





In this photo, my nephew, just like a typical little boy, sits backwards on his tricycle. No doubt he was bored with riding it facing front. Behind him, our vegetable garden is in full force. I'd say it was a hot August day and if I could magnify the photo enough, you'd probably see mosquitos bites all over his little torso. He was a towhead at that age, curious and smart. Somehow he managed to look happy and worried at the same. How can you smile and bite your lip simultaneously?

A Google photo search through my thousands of travel photos turned up this interesting pair and their bike in Sri Lanka. There might have been a spat, the way they are turned away from each other.

"I told you to turn right there," the cat said, hissing every word for emphasis.
"You didn't tell me until it was too late!" replied the monkey, looking defeated.
"Look—I try my best, but it's hard to hang on and handle the map," said the cat, turning away.
"Use your tail, for God's sake! You never take advantage of that thing, just letting it hang there or waving it around when you're irritated. If I did that I'd have been dead years ago."





Pedal over to Sepia Saturday for more nostalgia about biking. 

10 comments:

  1. Checking if a comment will post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute pic of you with your bike. And I love the one with the monkey and the cat. Your nephew's a little charmer too. :) And I'd forgotten about Double Bubble. Fun post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great cartoons...a sobering comparison to today's schoolroom issues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super Duper! Your bike and trike photos are swell. But the monkey, cat, and bike really do inspire a modern fable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awe you are so sweet and what a cool bike you had too! Great other photos as well especially the last one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that photo of you and your bike. Great composition.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful photo of you on your bike. I had a similar one growing up and cleaned and waxed it on weekends, since it was essentially my "car" as a child. Amazing bubble gum cartoons...sad that duck-and-cover type drills are back in a different context.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look very proud of that bike and your nephew is just using his trike as a convenient resting place amid running around and letting off steam.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mother was not a fan of bubble gum, so I had to chew and blow bubbles on the sly. I loved the lady who cut my hair - she could make her gum crack as she chewed. My goal was to be able to crack gum like Miss Padgie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved bubble gum, and we couldn't have it at school of course...so it was mainly for on the way home. Love the monkey/cat couple talking like all couples do about making travel choices!

    ReplyDelete