Sunday, January 01, 2012

Never eat more than you can lift.


January 1st: Maybe I bit off more than I can chew? Instead of a Big hairy audacious goal, I should have set myself a Medium hairy, well not even so hairy, audacious goal. It's 7:45 pm and I have nothing to say! Too much partying and talking. Too much talk during a day runs out my word quota; there's nothing left to write.

Miss Piggy said, "Never eat more than you can lift".

Good advice which I feel we've ignored over the holidays. We need a couple of days of semi-fasting to reset the appestat and return to normal. I feel better about our over-indulgence when I read about the routine intake of some of the legendary gourmands, for instance Balzac. I read the review of a new book, Balzac's Omelette, wherein they describe him consuming at a single sitting: a hundred oysters, four bottles of wine, twelve lamb cutlets, duckling, a brace of partridge, sole and pears by the dozen. This was probably more than Balzac could lift.

The book "celebrates Balzac's use of gastronomy as a literary device and social critique" - before Balzac, writers ignored their characters' dining habits. 
Eating habits do reveal much about a person. It was Balzac who said, "Tell me where you eat and what you eat and at what time you eat and I will you who you are".












No comments:

Post a Comment